Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation ~ Psalm 25: 4-5

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Conforming..... or Transforming??

I've been thinking a lot lately about not conforming to the world. Romans 12:2 says "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

Before when I'd read this I'd think more about the outward stuff. And yes I do believe as Christians we should look different from the world. I Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people. We should stand out.... maybe look peculiar to some. I Samuel 16:7 says "for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart." So I think that sometimes that initial impression of looking different can cause the world to look a little closer and see that something is different about us.

But "The Lord looketh on the heart"..... that's what I'm thinking about lately. Is my heart transformed? Or have I conformed in ways that I don't realize?

For instance, in the way I raise my children. The world, and possibly even some in the church, would say that if I'm constantly preaching to my children that I'll push them away from God. But His word says "thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." So according to God we can't overdo it. No, that doesn't mean that I'm just constantly quoting scripture to them.... but I should intentionally look for teachable moments. Diligently teach God's word to my children..... not just when it's convenient, not just when I think about it, and not just 3 times a week when we go to church. It's my job to raise up my children in the Lord, I can't expect that I can just take them to church and then go on about my life the rest of the week and they'll grow up to be on fire for God.

Or how about in the way I feel about other people? The world says that if someone is constantly unkind to me then I'm justified in not having anything to do with them. Makes sense doesn't it? Or if I don't like someone then I shouldn't have to make an effort to be nice to them. Don't be rude or mean, but you don't have to befriend everyone..... nothing wrong with that is there??

But Jesus says I'm to forgive my brother 7 times 70, and that I'm to forgive him 7 times in a single day if he's repentant. He also says "resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away." ~ Matthew 5:39-42 That sure doesn't sound like just helping people that I like!

In fact He goes on to say " Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?" So what good is it for me to love only people who love me.... anyone can do that. How am I being transformed if I'm only friendly with people I have things in common with and enjoy being around..... everyone acts that way!!

And I don't just want to be transformed.... I want others to see and be transformed also. "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." I want my life to cause others to glorify God. A city set on a hill cannot be hid..... for good or bad people are watching my life. Is what they see cause them to feel comfortable with their own lives, or is it challenging them to reach a little higher? Is what they see so conformed with the world that they can't see God in me? Or am I so transformed that they sense a difference when I walk in the room? I have a feeling I've been dropping the ball.

In the book of Acts when Paul visited Thessalonica it upset some of the people so much that those people carried some of the brothers to the rulers of the city and said "These that have turned the world upside down are come hither also." This always jumps out at me. The early christians didn't conform to the world.... they transformed it. They didn't quietly go about their business, they told everyone they meet about Jesus.

Whose world have I turned upside down lately?? Whose world have you??

1 comment:

Katie said...

Thank you for this post, Lisa. I too have been studying "be ye transformed". How awesome that God is speaking to more than just me! LOL!

It IS time for us, or maybe past time, for us to be intentional, diligent, on purpose for Christ! Praying for you, that you will be nudged when the moments for being intentional arise.
Katie