Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation ~ Psalm 25: 4-5

Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Conversation with God

Sometimes God has to remind me of things… maybe not so much remind me as thump me over the head… ok, maybe not so much thump me over the head as pound it into me… I’m a little stubborn.

Yesterday was one of those days.  He prodded me to study on grace and I wound up in Romans, chapters 3-6 specifically but don’t stop there… read it all when you go read!

So I read that and got a few things re-ironed out in my head about living a life dead to sin.  I’ll be honest, it doesn’t come naturally.  There are some things my flesh doesn’t want to let go of.  And when I try to do it all on my own, I fail… of course, we were never meant to do it all on our own.  Which brings me back to my stubbornness and toddlerish insistence to do it ‘all by myself’… yeah, it never works… you’d think I’d learn by now.  Thank God for His grace ‘cause I’d be in a world of hurt without it.

After reading my conversation went something like this…

Me: But it’s hard, I know I should want to lay these things down but I don’t want to… I should want to, I want to want to… but I know it’ll be hard, so what do I do about that??

*Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.*

Me: Ok, so you’ll help me and it won’t be hard… but what if I don’t?  It’s not that big a deal… does it really matter??

*The wages of sin are death*

Me:  Well alrighty then… guess that answers that!

Yes, that was a short talk… usually I have a lot more “yeah, but”’s  before I surrender.  There just isn’t anywhere else to go after that… it’s life or death, kind of brings it down to basics and makes the choice pretty clear. 

And I’ll say it again, I’m so thankful for His grace that never gives up on me and keeps pulling me back up when I stumble. 

 

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,  Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Romans 8:38-39

2 comments:

Jennifer Kindle said...

awwwwh......so glad we're friends!

Lisa said...

Me too :-)