Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation ~ Psalm 25: 4-5

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Train up a Child

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. ~ Proverbs 22:6



We're probably all familiar with that verse, right??

As a parent this is one of my goals, but lately God's been dealing with me about what it really means to "train up a child".

Does it mean taking them to church? I do that.... and it's a good thing, but if that's all we do then we're just teaching them to sit on a pew.

Does it mean teaching them scripture? I do that.... and believe it's important, but is that enough?

Does it mean praying for/with them? I do that.... but is that training?

I think all those things are important and necessary to training up our children, but I feel that there's more to it than that. Training isn't something you do occasionally or only at certain times, it's a constant process.

I looked up the word train, there are a lot of definitions!!

*to develop or form the habits, thoughts, or behavior of (a child or other person) by discipline and instruction - we must form the habit of worshiping God in our children. We do that by worshiping Him ourselves and letting them see us worship in our day to day lives. But that's not enough, we must also encourage them to worship and seek God on their own.


*to make proficient by instruction and practice
- we must instruct our children in how to seek God, how to pray, how to read His Word daily. And then we must practice that with them.

*to bring to bear on some object; point, aim, or direct - we must point our children to God. If we don't who will?


The thing is our children are watching us every day. They hear what we say, but more importantly they see what we do. If we tell them that God is the most important thing but then we put everything ahead of time with Him.... they see that, and they will follow us. If we tell them certain things are off limits and a hindrance in our walk with God but then we allow ourselves to be entertained by these same things in movies and on TV..... they see that, and they follow us. If we tell them God has a plan for our lives and we should trust Him but then we stress over bills to pay and decisions to make.... they see that, and they follow us.

So are we teaching them to put God first, guard their hearts and minds, and live by faith?? Or, are we teaching them that God can wait, sin is sometimes justified and can be funny, and we must do it all on our own??