Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation ~ Psalm 25: 4-5

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Being Diligent

I feel like a broken record, the same themes are always on my heart... so if you've read this a thousand times from me already..... here I go again!!

Today God is dealing with me to be diligent.

The thing is that for so long I haven't been. Sure I went to church, read the Bible and prayed a fair amount, tried to raise my children in the truth.... but I didn't diligently seek God. I did it when it was convenient, or when I had a need, or when I thought about it.... but I wasn't diligent.


2 Peter 1:4-10
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall


Deuteronomy 4:9
Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons


Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.


2 Peter 3:14

Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.




What God's showing me more and more is we are not going to serve Him by accident. I have to choose to serve Him and seek His face.... and I have to teach my children to do the same. I can't live for my flesh now and expect that my boys will somehow become Godly young men, it doesn't work that way.


Galatians 6:7-8

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.




My children will pay the price for my complacency. Sure they might turn to the Lord as adults but think of all the time that would be wasted and all the bad choices they could make and the consequences they would have to live with. Why allow them to go through all that when God has given me a plan to avoid it? He has shown us a better way.

But it takes diligence.... diligently praying, diligently reading His Word, diligently teaching it to my children, diligently seeking His will and not my own, diligently guarding my heart and the heart of my children. These aren't things that my flesh will choose to do, but if I will "Walk in the Spirit" then I "shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh."


I'll stop now... it just makes me heartsick when I see parent's complacency bearing fruit in their children. We feel like we have time to make things right, but they are paying the price. And worldviews that take root as a child are hard to break free from.



And Jen, if I'm copying you, it's a compliment.... you're rubbing off on me!!



3 comments:

Jennifer Kindle said...

Hey...that wasn't copying me, chicka...I needed that today. 2 kids sick Easter, 2 different ones sick today...I'm worn and frazzled and by golly it's so much easier to be lax (spelling?) and not be diligent but the rewards and blessings are to great not to persevere....thank you for this today. See you Thursday...I'm excited God is moving in your heart!

Lisa H said...

Just stopped over from Jennifer's blog, and I wanted to say thanks! This is a wonderful post and so timely. I definitely needed to read this today. :)

Lisa said...

Thanks ladies!! It's great to hear that what God is dealing with me about is a help to others!