Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation ~ Psalm 25: 4-5

Sunday, January 22, 2012

What If…

 

The boys got a little crazy tonight so in an effort refocus them and save my sanity I sent one to take a bath and told the other two to clean the living room.  Win-win… they’re not going coo-coo for cocoa puffs driving me insane and I get a cleanish living room!

I told Cade to vacuum the rug.  We have an old Rainbow vacuum cleaner which does an awesome job but is a bit of a pain to set up. He was a trooper though… drug it all out, got it assembled, then I showed him how to fill up the water reservoir. 

He was a little hesitant to carry it full of water… “But what if I drop it and spill water everywhere?”

I handed it to him and replied that if that happened he would get a towel and clean it up!

When he left the kitchen I got to thinking about that “What if?”

How often am I hesitant to try new things because of the what ifs?

How often do I second guess God’s will in my life because of what if?

What if I’m not doing the right thing to reach my kids?  What if no one likes my ideas?  What if this is not really God prompting me?  What if I step in it and make a fool of my self?  What if I reach out and get rebuffed? 

What if? What if? What if?  It’s enough to drive me crazy if I ever start down that path.

But, when I stop and really think about it… what if? Ok, what if the worst happens? What if what I’m worried about comes to pass? What then?

Well, then I’ll get a towel and clean it up!

Maybe it’s not really that simple but that’s the basic idea.

If I fall flat on my face then I’ll get up, dust off and try again.  And hopefully I’ll have gained a little wisdom, a little discernment, in the process.

But… what if “you have come to the kingdom for a time like this?”   That’s from Esther.

What if this is exactly where God wants me to be? What if this is exactly what He wants me to do? What if He has put me here just so I can reach out to that one?  What if He has given me these children because He knows what He’s doing?

Kinda puts a different spin on the “What ifs?” doesn’t it!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Lisa,
thank you...That's all I have to say...Thank you!

Jennifer Kindle said...

Yeah well, what if....im sticking my tongue out at you! ;)

Lisa said...

Katie - Thank you!

Jen - ha! I'll stick mine right back!!