Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation ~ Psalm 25: 4-5

Friday, July 16, 2010

A Heart That Values Being a Mother

I’m reading A Woman After God’s Own Heart by Elizabeth George with my bible study group.  LOVE this book… it’s really been a wake up call in some areas of my life.  These are just a few of the quotes that jumped out at me in the chapters on mothering…

  • A woman after God’s own heart is first and foremost a woman who has in her own heart a deep and abiding passion for God’s Word.  And her children… are to receive the firstfruits of this burning personal passion.
  • Out of our mouths at every opportunity must come salt…. First a mother and father fill their own hearts with God’s Word and then they deliberately and diligently teach their children at every opportunity each day presents.
  • How’s your walk? What are your children seeing about God in you? What are you teaching your children?
  • As mothers on assignment  from God, you and I cannot underestimate the urgency of planting His truth in our children’s hearts and minds.
  • We must be committed to nurturing and maintaining a godly life because a soul- the soul of each child- is involved.
  • As mothers, you and I are the Number One influence in our children’s lives.
  • What I put in to my children on a daily basis- seeds of patience or impatience, faith in God or lack of faith, kindness or selfishness- would be what I might gain back in years to come.
  • We serve and take care of our children simply because God says to. Just as we do for our husbands, we give to our children expecting nothing in return.
  • There are no other options, no conditions, no exceptions, and no fine print when it comes to God’s clear command that we are to love our children.
  • This principle- Don’t give away to others what you have not first given away at home- applies to far more than just food.  We talk to people on the phone, for instance, but we don’t talk to our own children.  We listen to other people, but we don’t listen to our children.  We spend time with other people, but we don’t with our children.  We give smiles and joy to others, but don’t always share these with our children.
  • Our presence in the home is important.  No dollar amount can ever be put on the value of our presence at home…

I highly recommend this book… it’s very convicting!

 

2 comments:

Jennifer Kindle said...

great recap and refresher...see you soon.

Katie said...

I have heard great things about this book! Thank you for sharing some of the points that have touched your heart. I think I will read this one sooner rather than later!