Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation ~ Psalm 25: 4-5

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Certainty in God

 

“…they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?” ~ Luke 24:32

I’ve had this post on my heart for several days, but my thoughts are so scattered I’m not sure how it will flow.  But here goes anyway…

Too many times I’ve knelt weeping at Jesus’ feet and felt His arms come around me for anyone to tell me God’s not real.

Too many times I’ve stood in the middle of a storm unable to see the light and felt unexplainable peace for anyone to tell me God’s not real.

Too many times I’ve been sick or in pain and prayed for healing and instantly been healed for anyone to tell me God’s not real.

And I could go on and on…

So what brought this on?

I sometimes read this blog by a woman who used to be a christian and now says she’s an atheist.  That made me think of this woman who went to our church when I was growing up… she was faithful every week, taught Sunday school, and yet once told my mom that she had never felt the presence of God.  So that made me think of what a short slide it is from just going through the motions to no longer believing.

I look around and see so many people just going through the motions.  How easy it is to believe Satan’s lies when we don’t really KNOW Jesus.  Just hearing about Him is not enough.  Reading the Bible is good and necessary but just reading about Him is not enough.  We must KNOW Him.  Because once we really know Him nothing and no one can take that away.

The thing is I think a lot of people don’t even know that they’re missing out.  It reminds me of the place in Acts where Paul asked the people in Ephesus if they had received the Holy Ghost since they believed and they replied that they didn’t even know that there was a Holy Ghost. People are going through the motions not even realizing that there is more, not even realizing that they are missing out.  Why?? Because we aren’t shouting God’s goodness from the rooftops. 

God moves for me and I thank Him and then go on about my business.  I never stop everything and run out to tell everyone I see.  So I’m saying it now… there’s more.  God has moved for me in mighty ways, but it’s just the tip of the iceberg.  He has touched me, healed me, turned my life around, and there is still so much more He has in store. 

The message last Saturday morning was so good… I wish I knew how to upload audio, but this is a small bit…

“Being religious is not going to help us. We’ve got to eat His flesh and drink His blood.”

“If there’s no dedication in your walk with God then you need to be in the alter. If there’s no prayer life in my ministry then I need to sit down.” 

“We’ve got to press. He said you put on the whole armor of God. He said you earnestly contend for the faith that was once delivered to the saints. He said you occupy til I come.  He said you hold fast.  He said you fight the good fight of faith.  What’s all that?  All that’s telling that you’ve got to do it.”

No one else can do it for us.  No one can convince anyone else with a certainty that God is real… but He can.  If you’ve never felt the presence of God, if you can’t say with certainty that God is real… seek His face.  He will reveal Himself to you.  Draw near to Him and He will draw near to you.  It’s a promise! 

3 comments:

Jennifer Kindle said...

hhmmm..been thinking about this a lot too.....He is the one who hardens hearts and he is the softener of hearts...we can never force our desire to know Jesus on anyone...I want people to be passionate...not because my way is the right way but because this journey of life following the Lord is more than anything I could ever explain to anyone.....go to bed!!!! :) Thanks for sharing my button!

Katie said...

What a great post! I love that He draws near to us when we draw near to Him! God is faithful!!

Lisa said...

Ha, Jennifer! Looks like I wasn't the only one up late!! Your welcome!

Katie, thanks! Yes He is!